Workshop on Ultrasonic Doppler for Hydraulics in laboratory flumes
This Workshop on Ultrasonic Doppler (WUD) edition for hydraulics in laboratory flumes is organised by the Karlsruhe University of Applied Science (HKA) in Germany together with nearby Ubertone in Strasbourg, France. It will take place from lunch to lunch on June 14-15th, 2022 at the hydraulic laboratory of the HKA. The goal of this workshop is to give the opportunity to Master Students and PhD candidates to discover, use and discuss with peers about Ultrasonic Doppler Methods for Fluid Mechanics and Fluid Engineering.
The content of the workshop will be centered on experimental practice, including exercises of installation, data recording and data processing of UVP (Ultrasonic Velocity Profiler) and ADVP (Acoustic Doppler Velocity Profiler) on two laboratory flumes.
A part of the workshop will also be dedicated to peer-to-peer discussions, to discuss measurement needs, methods and applicability of the methods. Therefore, ongoing related projects of participants can briefly be presented (max. 5min) followed by discussions among experienced and new users (participants).
Theoretical and lecture-like information will be sent in advance, for the student to read and study beforehand.
On a lunch-to-lunch basis, this event is free of charge for the participants, except for the lunches and accommodation, which has to be taken care of by the participants themselves. As an ice-breaker, we invite the participants to have lunch together on the first day at the university canteen at 12:00 am.
Coffee breaks during the workshop and dinner on June 14th will be organised and offered.
- Ultrasonic Doppler measurement technique
- Ultrasonic Velocity profiler
- Acoustic Doppler Velocity profiler
- Monostatic and bistatic measurement technique
- Open channel flumes
- Acoustic scatterers for quality data
- Through-wall measurements
- Turbulence measurement
- Bed roughness influence
Karlsruhe University of Applied Science (HKA)
Moltkestraße 30, 76133 Karlsruhe, Germany
Exact information about meeting-point and possible accommodation will be sent prior to the workshop.
- Registration opening: 15th of April 2022
- Registration deadline: 15th of May 2022 (limited number of participants)
- Beginning of the workshop: 14th of June 2022, at 14:00
- Closing of the workshop: 15th of June 2022, at 12:00
Registration (first come, first served):
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Markus Noack, Head of the Hydraulic Laboratory (VAW) at the Karlsruhe University of Applied Science, Fachbereich Wasserbau und Wasserwirtschaft.
- Dr. Stéphane Fischer, CEO of Ubertone and member of the scientific committee of ISUD (International Symposium on Ultrasonic Doppler Methods for Fluid Mechanics and Fluid Engineering).
- Marie Burckbuchler, CTO at Ubertone and member of the EMI committee of IAHR (Experimental Methods and Instrumentation)
Welcome word, Reminder of measurement principles, Presentation of experimental exercises, Group splitting
Introduction talk by Prof. Yasushi TAKEDA (Prof. em. Hokkaido Univ., Sapporo, Japan)
|15:00-17:00||Groups split between experimental exercises stations and data analysis|
|17:00-18:00||Peer to peer presentations and discussions|
|19:00||Dinner offered by Ubertone|
|15/06/2022||8:00-10:00||Groups split between experimental exercises stations and data analysis|
|10:00-12:00||Peer to peer presentations and discussions|
|Afternoon||Touristic visit of Karlsruhe (optional)|